One of their articles is on Relational Commitments for local churches. These commitments several important purposes:
- They remind church members of their mutual commitment to work together to pursue unity, maintain friendships, preserve marriages, and build relationships that reflect the love of Christ.
- They help to prevent surprises, disappointed expectations, confusion and conflict by describing how church members and leaders expect to relate to one another within the church.
- They provide a clear track for a church to run on when conflict threatens to divide them, and they show how to move quickly toward reconciliation.
- They establish guidelines for how the church leaders will counsel others, guard confidential information, and protect children from abuse.
- They define and limit the spiritual authority of the church leaders and thereby insure that all members are treated fairly.
- Finally, they reduce the church's exposure to legal liability by clearly establishing its relational practices and by affirming a mutual commitment to resolve conflict biblically.